The Community School (Sun Valley, ID) has announced its new residential facility, the Ketchum Campus, is complete and open for business. This project and the concurrent capital campaign has been the primary focus of Head of School, Ben Pettit's first two years of leadership and both he and the Community School at large were excited to debut the new residential facility and campus hub on December 29, 2016. The new building, which is a 25,085 square foot facility on 1.6 acres in the heart of Ketchum, Idaho will transform the Community School experience for every student, teacher and athlete alike.
The school launched their Residential Program in 2011 and the program has averaged approximately 22 enrolled students per year in a leased, capacity-constrained facility. The new building allows for an increase in enrollment capacity of up to 44 students. The school enrolled 72 total students in the first six years hailing from 13 states and provinces and 13 countries. The residential program primarily focuses on students interested in the Sun Valley Ski Academy and Outdoor Leadership Academy.
The new facility is a communal hub for campus life, which includes the following spaces:
- Student suites – each student suite accommodates six students and contains a student lounge, three bedrooms, and en suite shower and bathroom facilities
- 3,200 square foot athletes’ training center modeled after the United States Ski and Snowboard Association's Center of Excellence
- 65-seat dining hall for residents and up to 20 guests at each meal
- Commercial kitchen, which allows for meals for the residence hall and the school’s new 20/20 hot lunch option
- Fireplace room
- Media center
- Study and conference hall
- A second game room – foosball, pool table, air hockey and ping pong tables
- Ski, snowboard and bike tuning center