NWAIS Conferences, Workshops and Events
Student Diversity Leadership Retreat - Middle School
Two-Day, Overnight Retreat - Registration will open November 1, 2019
2020 Student Diversity Leadership Retreat
Begins: Friday March 6, 2020 - 1:30pm
Concludes: Saturday March 7, 2020 - 3:00pm
Important Registration Information
Student Groups Are Limited To 8 Students from Each School plus chaperones.
Registration will open November 1, 2019. Please see below for information on how to reserve space and register. This event is limited to 100 students and is expected to fill.
Support The Development Of The Student Leaders In Your School.
Middle school students from member and non-member schools are invited to come together, connect, and build both relationships and skills around communication and inclusiveness.
- Meet and Connect with Other Student Leaders
- Explore the Role of Art in Social Movements
- Develop Skills Around Diversity, Equity and Social Justice
- Participate in Inspiring Activities That They Can Bring Back To School
- Generate a Plan for Leading in Your School
- Participate in Affinity Spaces and Arts-Based Workshops
Who Should Attend?
The retreat is open to all 6-8 grade students. Students of all races, ethnicities, and cultures are welcome.
The planning committee encourages faculty to carefully consider the group that attends the conference. We are seeking attendees who have demonstrated interest in issues around diversity and equity and are looking to become leaders in these areas in their school communities. Some successful strategies for faculty selecting students have included:
- Nomination by faculty or students
- Participation in a similarly themed club or activity
- Brief essay that expresses personal interest
- Participation in student government
Student Groups Are Limited To 8 Students From Each School. Faculty manage the selection process for their school
Note: Each year, the Student Diversity Leadership Retreat alternates its target audience. In 2021 it will again serve 9-12th grade participants. We hope that having this information in place will allow you to plan student participation and provide continuity in programming.
Schools are responsible for sending at least one school chaperone. A chaperone must be an employee of the school that is sending the students. There is no registration fee for the first and second chaperone to attend from a school. If a school is sending additional chaperones, the registration fee is $55 per person.
Lead Adult Expectations
- Ensure collection of registration materials from each student by February 1, 2020 including: behavior contracts, registration forms and payment
- Be responsible for their students during the conference
- Be on call at all times during the conference
- Meet students at designated points and times
- Support and enforce the Student Conduct Agreement including full student participation and adherence to curfew
Students will be expected to participate fully in all activities. Student participants should have the maturity and independence to successfully work in small groups of other students from across the region and from a number of different schools. Students will be asked to sign and comply with the behavior agreement.
In striving to be inclusive to students of all genders, students will be in one large sleeping area, likely the school gym. If your school would prefer for students to be in gender divided areas, classrooms will be made available. All schools utilizing this option must have chaperones in attendance who represent the genders of their students.
Prep and Packing
Schools Should Bring: Medical forms for each student in attendance
Students Should Bring: Sleeping pad, sleeping bag, journal, raincoat, clothing, flash light, students should dress comfortably (casual attire is fine). To help conserve resources, you are also encouraged to bring your own water bottle.
Students Should Not Bring: Valuables such as computers, tablets, i-pods, etc. Students may bring a phone, but will be asked to not use it during programming. Students will be asked to not use headphones, as they limit engagement with others at the retreat.
Sleeping and Showering: The students will be "camping out" inside school buildings. Students and chaperones will be sleeping on the floor and should bring the appropriate bedding.
Family Groups: Please ensure that Students have an understanding of the topics and general format of the retreat, including that they will be in "Family Groups" throughout the experience. These groups will be comprised of students from a variety of participating schools.
Registration will open for this event on November 1, 2019. This event is limited to 100 students and will likely fill to capacity. Student Groups Are Limited To 8 Students From Each School.
You can secure your students places with payment, in advance of collecting their paperwork. This will also allow you to submit payment online and pay by credit card.
- Use the name of the chaperone as the attendee
- Select the number of students from the cost categories
- Student and adult names and dietary requirements will be collected later via the student roster
- January 10, 2020 - Early Bird Deadline. Payments must be received or postmarked by this date to be eligible for this rate.
- February 3, 2020 - Registration Deadline. No additional registrations will be accepted and no refunds will be offered. All paperwork, including the full student roster is due. The lead chaperone is responsible for submitting: the roster, parent and behavior forms for all student participants.
- February 14 - Deadline for all substitutions. Any student whose paperwork has not been received by this deadline will give up their spot.
Early Bird (Payment Postmarked or Received By January 10, 2020): $125
Regular (Payment Postmarked or Received After January 10, 2020): $150
TO RECEIVE THE REGISTRATION DISCOUNT: Your registration must be complete and payment must be postmarked or received by the appropriate deadline.
• For online registrations with payment by check, payment must be postmarked by deadline date.
• Online registrations paid by credit card must be completed by 11:59pm on the deadline date.
Substitutions may be made any time until February 14. Written cancellations received by February 3, 2020 are eligible for a refund after a $25 cancellation fee. Cancellations received after February 3 are ineligible for any refund.