NWAIS Conferences, Workshops and Events
Student Diversity Leadership Retreat
Virtual Retreat for Middle School Students
This Event Has Reached Capacity. Registration is Closed.
2021 Student Diversity Leadership Retreat
A Virtual Experience for Students in Grades 6-8
Noon on March 1 - 2pm on March 2, 2021
Note: Each year, the Student Diversity Leadership Retreat alternates its target audience. In 2022 it will again serve 9-12th grade participants. We hope that having this information in place will allow you to plan student participation and provide continuity in programming.
This Event Has Reached Capacity. Registration is Closed.
Important Registration Information
Student Groups Are Limited To 12 Students from Each School plus chaperones.
Please see below for information on how to reserve space and register. This event is limited to 350 students and is expected to fill.
Support The Development Of The Student Leaders In Your School.
Middle school students from member and non-member schools are invited to come together virtually, connect, and build both relationships and skills around communication and inclusiveness.
- Meet and Connect with Other Student Leaders
- Explore the Role of Art in Social Movements
- Develop Skills Around Diversity, Equity and Social Justice
- Participate in Inspiring Activities That They Can Bring Back To School
- Generate a Plan for Leading in Your School
- Participate in Affinity Spaces and Arts-Based Workshops
Who Should Attend?
The retreat is open to all 6-8 grade students. Students of all races, ethnicities, and cultures are welcome.
The planning committee encourages faculty to carefully consider the group that attends the conference. We are seeking attendees who have demonstrated interest in issues around diversity and equity and are looking to become leaders in these areas in their school communities. Some successful strategies for faculty selecting students have included:
- Nomination by faculty or students
- Participation in a similarly themed club or activity
- Brief essay that expresses personal interest
- Participation in student government
Student Groups Are Limited To 12 Students From Each School. Faculty manage the selection process for their school
What Will A Virtual Experience Look Like?We are hard at work with an amazing planning committee, building a great experience for your students, delivered through zoom. It will be up to each school to determine if students participate from home or school.
As you are planning, please keep in mind:
- We encourage this to be the full school experience for both days, as programming will extend into the evening.
- Similarly, we will expect all student participants to engage in the full program rather than attending bits and pieces.
- We will be leaning a little more heavily on the facilitator from your school to help guide the experience for your students and will lead two preparation sessions to make sure they feel ready and know what to expect.
We know it is not the same as gathering in person and we also know that this is an important year to keep the work of diversity, equity and inclusion moving forward. We are excited to help support your students leaders in this important work.
Adult School Facilitators
Schools are responsible for sending at least one school facilitator. They must be an employee of the school that is sending the students. There is no registration fee for adults. Because adults from the school will be helping the students apply the work to their own school context, we ask that facilitators are familiar with and invested in the school’s DEI work.
School Facilitator Expectations
- Ensure collection of registration materials from each student by February 1, 2020 including: behavior contracts, registration forms and payment
- Be a resource for their students during the conference
- Be available to students from your school all times during the conference
- Participate in programming
- Support and enforce the Student Conduct Agreement including full student participation and adherence to curfew
Students will be expected to participate fully in all activities and should plan to be a part of the full two-day experience.
This event is limited to 150 students and will likely fill to capacity. Student groups are limited to 12 students from each school.
The first step is to register your school as soon as possible to secure participation. This can be dine in advance of collecting student information and paperwork. You will receive instructions for gathering individual student information when your school registers.
Instructions for School Registration:
- Go To NWAIS Online Registration
- Use the name of the lead adult facilitator as the "attendee"
- Select the number of students from the cost categories
- Student and adult names and information will be collected later via the student roster and student / parent registration form. You will receive instructions once your school has registered.
Important Registration Dates and Deadlines:
- January 29, 2021 - School Registration Deadline. Sign up your school to participate using NWAIS online registration. Schools will need to provide the number of students and payment, but will not need to submit specific student information yet.
- February 2, 2021 (3-4pm) - Mandatory School facilitator meeting #1
- February 5, 2021 – Student Information and Registration Deadline. All paperwork, including the full student roster is due. The lead chaperone / facilitator is responsible for submitting: the complete roster, parent and behavior forms for all student participants. No additional registrations will be accepted and no refunds will be offered.
- February 12, 2021 - Deadline for all substitutions. Any student whose paperwork has not been received by this deadline will give up their spot.
- February 23, 2021 (3-4pm) - Mandatory School facilitator meeting #2
NWAIS Schools: $85 / Student
Non-member Schools: $125 / Student
Substitutions may be made any time until February 5, 2021. Written cancellations received by February 5, 2021 are eligible for a refund after a $25 cancellation fee. Cancellations received after February 5, 2021 are ineligible for any refund.