NWAIS Conferences, Workshops and Events
Building Wise Boards - Better Evaluation of Head and Board
Building Wise Boards
Better Evaluation of Head and Board
March 8, 2021 – Virtual Workshop - 3:00-5:00pm
Good governance is the act of putting wise thought into prudent actions in a way that advances the well-being of those governed-Diane Kalen-Sukra
In this workshop attendees will explore the role of trustee, and learn from experienced trustees, heads of school and association leadership.
Offered throughout the year, each workshop is will focus on a different aspect of independent school trusteeship. This workshop will focus on strategies for goal setting and evaluation for heads of school and trustees. Assessment is key to board and head improvement and accountability, and can be tricky to design and implement. A solid plan and strategy for evaluation can be a lever to enhance a board's performance.
Previously this workshop was recommended for those new to the role, but feedback was that it was universally valuable. All independent school board members are encouraged to attend.
The workshop is a necessity for new trustees as well as not so new. The information is outstanding! - 2018 Workshop Attendee
Additional Building Wise Boards Workshop Dates and Themes
- September 17, 2020 – Virtual Seminar 1: Welcome to the Board of Trustees: Now Just What is Our Job?
- October 20, 2020 – Virtual Seminar 2: Better Meetings
- December 10, 2020 – Virtual Seminar 3: Better Trustee Selection and Preparation
- March 8, 2021 - Virtual Seminar 4: Better Evaluation of Head and Board
Additional 2020-21 NWAIS Governance Programming - Which Program is Right for You?
Building Wise Boards: These workshop focus on board operations and case studies. This is best for those who are working on improving how your board functions and in identifying and exploring the role of trustee. This will be especially valuable for those in their first few years of trusteeship.
Institutional Leadership Through Governance (November 2020): This half day, virtual conference will provide a deep-dive into an current aspect of trusteeship. Led by national thought leaders in governance, Kathy Pearson. Heads of School find this meeting especially valuable when they attend with their board chair or executive committee. While all trustees are welcome to attend, this will be most valuable to those with experience as trustees looking to take their board to the next level.
Board Chairs and Heads Partnering to Propel Schools (May 2021): This single-day workshop is specifically built around supporting the special relationship of the Head and the Board Chair as they lead the board and the strategic direction of the school. Attendees have a chance to deepen their partnership as well as developing connections with others who share their unique role in other NWAIS schools.
It's a must do! This workshop is great for anyone new to a board - with or without board experience - 2017 Workshop Attendee
Some of the “Ah-ha” Moments From Previous Attendees:
- Getting a better insight into the relationship between The board and Head of school. And how important that is for the long term viability of the school.
- Good to get a sense of what other board structures, effectiveness and success has looked like.
- Problems are not unique but I was pleased to see that our school is handling things correctly. Having never been on a board before it was great for me.
- I think for me as a new board member was the clarification of my role as a board member that I take off my parent hat and think in terms of where our school will be 5,10,20 years down the line.
- Role of board relative to school head, parents, teachers and school.
- It was nice to get the perspectives of the group and how small or large independent schools have very similar problems.
- I think it was great to have our board all hear the same thing from an independent source. Lots of ah-ha's
We can be a more effective Board if everyone goes through this session. - 2014 Workshop Attendee
Mark Crotty, Executive Director of NWAIS, along with experienced Heads of School and seasoned trustees will lead these workshops designed to elevate governance practices throughout our member schools. Heads of school, new trustees, current trustees and board chairs, are all invited to attend.
Definitely worthwhile. It is practical in terms of our roles and responsibilities, and very interesting. The workshop brought together a fascinating group of very smart people who were great to work with. - 2017 Workshop Attendee
NWAIS Attendees: $45
Non-NWAIS Attendees: $95
Definitely worth the time and effort. Really well done. - 2017 Workshop Attendee
Substitutions may be made any time prior to the conference. Written cancellations received by the Monday before the workshop are eligible for a refund after a $25 cancellation fee. Cancellations received after the cancellation deadline are ineligible for any refund.