KapKa Cooperative School is a dynamic community of children, parents and teachers working
together to create an inclusive, experiential learning environment that fosters capable and
compassionate lifelong learners. We believe:
· Children are inherently kind, caring, and curious and have vast potential to contribute uniquely and positively to the world.
· Academic, social-emotional, and physical learning are all essential components of a child's education.
· The learning process—asking questions, testing ideas and making discoveries—is at least as important as the answers we arrive at and the products we create.
· Experiential and integrated learning allows children to gain meaningful understandings, access useful knowledge, make informed choices, and become flexible problem-solvers.
· Emergent curriculum, which incorporates student voice and choice, allows children to be fully engaged and invested in their learning.
· A safe, supportive school environment fosters confidence and independence in children by empowering them to take risks and responsibility.
· Growth in all areas of development (intellectual, social-emotional and physical) requires honest and supportive feedback and regular, meaningful reflection.
· A reciprocal (respectful and sustainable) relationship with the natural world and the human community in which we live is the ultimate goal of education.
· Active participation by parents, both in and out of the classroom, is integral to creating and sustaining a dynamic, nurturing and connected learning community.