ABOUT THE POSITION
Sun Valley Community School is excited to announce an opening for a middle school math teacher who, in addition to expertise in math and math instruction, also has an interest in and experience with science. This is a full-time teaching position that involves collaborating closely with other teachers. Our Middle School program is a blend of specific subject classes and integrated, project-based curricula that combines science and math with humanities-based studies through thematic, interdisciplinary units. The school is looking for an engaging and innovative educator who believes that children should be the focus of all curricular decisions, that learning needs to be differentiated in order to see the potential of each child emerge, and that there are benefits to students completing both individual and group work. In addition, a significant part of our Middle School program involves time in the field on four annual outdoor trips.
- This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits that begins on August 17, 2020.
- Teach a full load as the lead teacher of math, co-leading the integrated units (2 sections) with Humanities teacher, and Science (2 sections).
- Advisor to group of middle school students
- Co-lead/chaperone four outdoor trips each year
- Teach/lead one term of co-curricular activities during the fall or spring
- Communicate with families informally and formally throughout the year
- A deep understanding of math, some knowledge of science, and comfort with the developmental breadth found in middle school students
- Knowledge and experience with creating and engaging students in a differentiated curriculum
- A healthy sense of humor and flexibility in approach
- A real sense of joy in working with middle school students
- An outstanding communicator with all constituencies: students, parents/guardians and colleagues
- Organized, creative, and inspiring approach to working with middle school students
- A committed collaborator, eager to work with co-teacher and colleagues on a dynamic curriculum
- **Both candidates with traditional and non-traditional paths to education are encouraged to apply.
Please send an electronic cover letter, statement of educational philosophy, resumé, and at least three letters of reference to:
Sun Valley Community School
Attn: Middle School Math Position
From our campus to the wilderness, we inspire students to think critically, engage confidently, embrace challenges, and lead impactful, purposeful lives.
ABOUT SUN VALLEY COMMUNITY SCHOOL
Our philosophy? Build community. Take risks. Grow your curiosities. Pursue your passions. Aim for personal bests. We are a preK-12 day and boarding college prep school of 425 students set in the iconic mountain resort town of Sun Valley, Idaho. Our faculty and staff are passionate about the outdoors, the arts, innovation, athletics, adventure, and the work they do with students. They are engaged and encouraging and believe in our student-centered approach.
Our students are open to new experiences, take advantage of the natural environment, thrive in a small-town community but have a solid sense of the broader world. A Sun Valley Community School experience balances intellectual inquiry with adventure. We ask students and faculty alike to push comfort zones and seek understanding. We value inclusivity, authenticity, and critical thinking.
Sun Valley Community School is an equal opportunity employer. The school encourages, seeks, and will employ applicants the school deems qualified for the position sought, regardless of age, ethnic background, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification, or physical ability, with reasonable accommodation to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.