Lakeside School, an independent 5-12 coeducational day school located in North Seattle is currently recruiting for outdoor specialists to co-lead trips for 6th and 7th grade Middle School students which will occur in Spring 2020.
Together with their assigned Lakeside Middle School faculty member(s), the Outdoor Specialist will be responsible for providing students with the opportunities to:
The outdoor specialist is one of two or three adults to co-lead, co-manage, and execute all aspects of the trip for a group of ten to twelve middle school students. Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to: supporting student learning by facilitating e.g. group activities; providing wilderness, camping, and backpacking expertise as well as teaching students relevant and appropriate skills and knowledge in these areas; driving students to and from site and as needed during the trip.
- Develop a sense of place in the Pacific Northwest;
- Learn how to contribute as members of teams;
- Take physical, emotional, and social risks;
- Learn the fundamentals of ‘wilderness’ backpacking and camping and leave no trace protocols; and
- Practice problem solving.
The trips are planned as follows:
Leaders must be available for the prep day and all days of the trip in which they are leading. Preference is given to those leaders who can lead both a 6th and 7th grade trip, though we will consider those who are only available to lead one trip. Prep day hours will be approximately 7:30am – 5:00pm at Lakeside School in Seattle. Most trips will plan to depart around 8am on departure day and return by 3pm on return day, though some hours may vary depending on the trip. Leaders may need to stay later than 3pm to clean up after the trip.
- 7th grade (Prep day Monday May 18, Trip: Tuesday May 19 – Friday May 22, 2020)
- 6th grade (Prep day Tuesday May 26, Trip: Wednesday May 27 – Friday May 29, 2020)
Requirements and Qualifications
Compensation and Benefits
- Successful candidates must be at least 21 years of age;
- Have experience leading multi-day wilderness expeditions working with middle school age children;
- Experience and willingness to contribute to all group activities;
- Training and/or experience in experiential/outdoor education is desirable.
- Candidates must possess current Wilderness First Aid & CPR certifications (WFR preferred).
- References should speak to the applicant’s integrity, flexibility, and ability to be an effective member of a team.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness, including knowledge of themselves and the cultural lenses they bring to interactions. The candidate will understand different perspectives; interact respectfully with cultures other than their own; and cultivate meaningful relationships with people that have different cultural frameworks.
- Candidates must satisfactorily complete two criminal background checks.
Outdoor Specialists will receive a daily stipend based on the number of outdoor program trips led at Lakeside School. Stipends begin at $170/day and can increase based on the number of outdoor trips led at Lakeside School.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 828 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds. The School’s Mission and shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective
educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the online application. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Working At Lakeside
At Lakeside we are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community. To learn more about working at Lakeside, including our professional development and mentoring programs, benefits, diversity and inclusion, and opportunities for involvement in non-academic programs, please visit our Careers
page on the Lakeside School website.
Apply online here.
Lakeside School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Participate in the Independent School Diversity Career Fair hosted by Lakeside School
Saturday, February 1, 2020
For more information and to register visit Diversity Career Fair