For Job Seekers
Seek Out an Opportunity to Work at a NWAIS School
Use the dropdown menus below to search for a job at a NWAIS school. You can also visit the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Career Center for a national listing of available positions.
Director of Communications
|School Name||Seattle Country Day School|
|City, State||Seattle, WA|
Position available: Director of Communications, full-time.
Since 1964, Seattle Country Day School has been inspiring gifted children in grades K-8 to discover their potential through inquiry. Students are the center of a dynamic learning and discovery process. Experienced teachers focus on intellectual and character growth, attending to the social, ethical, and emotional needs of students. Small classes generate curiosity and innovation through inquiry learning, and provide opportunities for collaborative experiences with a curriculum rich in mathematics, science, technology, humanities, and the arts.
Seattle Country Day School affirms that attracting, supporting, and embracing a diverse community is critical to fulfilling its mission of educating gifted students, and seeks diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds in its faculty in order to reflect the diversity inherent in a multicultural city and society. The school is committed to diversity among students, faculty, staff, and Board of Trustees, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical challenges.
The Director of Communication reports to the Head of School and works closely with the Head on school communications from the Head of School, as well as the school’s website, print publications, social media, blogs, and electronic newsletters. This position works with all departments and divisions to ensure that the school’s communications about fundraising, academics, and operations are accurate, informative, well-written, and reflect the culture and mission of SCDS.
- Excellent written communication and editing skills to communicate the values and the mission of SCDS in a compelling manner to both internal and external constituencies;
- Strong verbal communication skills, and ability to build relationships with all members of the school community;
- Computer skills: Advanced knowledge of MS Office suite; knowledge of Finalsite or other web-based CMS; knowledge of Veracross, Adobe Publisher, and InDesign;
- Experience in communications/marketing (3-5+ years);
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize;
- Willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of activities ranging from the internal day-to-day, to the highly creative, external and visible;
- A bachelor’s or higher level degree;
- Knowledge and experience in using social media as a communications and marketing vehicle;
- Not-for-profit and independent school experience preferred.
The Director of Communications will report to the Head of School and support the internal and external communications and public relations needs of SCDS and its constituencies. In addition to being an accomplished communications professional, the Director of Communications will embrace SCDS’s philosophy, mission, values, and inquiry-based culture in order to effectively advocate for the school. Specific responsibilities include:
- Produce and refine school communications and Head of School communications as needed;
- Refresh content on school’s website, and ensure regular updating of news, announcements, photos, as well as related social media tools and blogs;
- Manage school’s social and print media presence;
- Work with the Head of School to create digital marketing campaigns;
- Publish the school’s weekly electronic newsletter, edit electronic division newsletters;
- Collaborate with Director of Advancement to produce fundraising materials, alumni materials and the school’s major print publication, Kinetics;
- Collaborate with Director of Admissions to produce the school’s recruitment materials, print and electronic marketing.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
Applicants should complete an employment application available on the school’s website at www.seattlecountryday.org. Submit this completed application along with a letter of interest and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org Do not send documents without a completed application.