Director of Enrollment Management
Full Time Position
Bertschi School educates children to become compassionate, confident, and creative learners in a global community.
Our ValuesOur Pedagogy
Our community values integrity, inclusiveness, respect, diversity and a commitment to sustainability.
Bertschi School believes that students learn best when they are
- safe and known in an inclusive community that values diverse perspectives
- supported in developing social-emotional skills
- provided academic choice and challenge at their “just right level”
- engaged in meaningful work
- encouraged to problem solve through inquiry, trial, and error
- empowered to take risks and make change
- given opportunities to collaborate and dialogue with a diverse group of learners
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Bertschi School values diversity and believes engaging our differences makes us better and stronger. We welcome and honor the unique contributions of people from all racial, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, gender identities, learning styles, physical abilities and sexual orientations. Our commitment to equity drives us to be inclusive and diverse in all areas of our school.
Bertschi School, founded in 1975, is a Washington State approved elementary school. We are a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and accredited by the Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS). The school serves children from pre-kindergarten through grade five. Bertschi School is an exciting environment where professionals are part of a supportive team dedicated to advancing the school’s mission working alongside an active community. The staff enjoys a salary and benefit package in line with other independent private schools in the Northwest.
Position SummaryGeneral Responsibilities
The Director of Enrollment Management has the overall responsibility for presenting Bertschi School to parents of prospective students and for successfully guiding families through the admissions process. The Director reports to the Head of School, and works closely with the other members of the Leadership team as well as teachers to ensure that admissions decisions are made with all necessary information and input. This position manages the Registrar & Admission Coordinator.
- Admissions: The coordinated effort that tracks and advances children from prospective to enrolled students and beyond. The admission function interacts strategically with the functions involved in managing Bertschi’s financial aid, registration, orientations, curriculum, and student life.
- Actively participate as a member of the school’s administrative Leadership Team
- Plan and execute a comprehensive multi-year enrollment and retention plan for the school
- Coordinate the admissions calendar each year including tour dates, open house, application deadlines, and decision timelines
- Lead admission tours throughout the season in collaboration with other members of staff
- Manage parent volunteers to participate in the admissions process when appropriate
- Manage Bertschi School’s application system within Ravenna, and track peer school and regional data available
- Manage the accuracy and integrity of student data within the school’s student information system, PCR Educator, in collaboration with the Registrar & Admission Coordinator and Technology Director
- With Admission team members, develop appropriate protocols and materials for the admissions process
- Coordinate visit dates for all applicants and their families as well as interviews with families
- Be available to answer questions to applicant families in a timely manner via phone and email
- Work with the Admissions team and the Head of School to make admission decisions
- Actively participate in meetings of the Board of Trustees and deliver reports and data when requested
- Collaboratively lead Advancement Committee meetings with the Director of Institutional Advancement
- Represent Bertschi School at local, regional and national meetings such as PSIS and the NWAIS Admission Directors
- Retention: Management of Bertschi’s ability to keep and re-enroll students from one year to the next: the backbone of every independent school’s reputation. The Director collects and analyzes data to help identify students and families who may be struggling or at risk of withdrawing from the school.
- In collaboration with the Head of School and the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, improve the effectiveness and success in recruiting, welcoming, and retaining students from diverse backgrounds
- Organize and lead the New Parent Orientation each spring
- Manage the hand off of new families to the Director of Institutional Advancement once orientation is complete
- Assist parents of fifth graders with the application and transition to middle school
- Coordinate and host middle school informational sessions
- Maintain collegial relationships with peer schools and middle schools
- Maintain good relationships with alumni students and parents to aid in alumni relations work and future alumni reunions
- Research: The collection and analysis of data on the internal and external factors affecting Bertschi School’s enrollment, student success (including retention and outplacement), and Bertschi’s image and brand in the independent school market.
- Track declines, attrition, students applying out, and non-renewals
- Network with leaders at other independent schools and off-campus resource organizations
- Pursue professional development opportunities; attend conferences and professional meetings in order to remain current with enrollment issues and trends that may affect the school.
- Marketing: The process that matches Bertschi’s strengths and distinguishing characteristics to the identified needs, interests, and abilities of prospective families and then promotes accordingly–including clarifying institutional image, establishing enrollment targets to meet the school’s strategic goals, and understanding the school’s niche in the market.
- Represent the school at appropriate meetings and events including admission fairs
- Place digital or print ads as needed
- In collaboration with the school’s graphic designer, produce and/or update printed and digital materials to aid in the admission process
Other school-related duties
- Participate in the student arrival and dismissal procedures
- Supervise students during lunch and recess hours as needed
- Greet guests and answer incoming calls at the Main Office as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of four years experience working in enrollment management, preferably in a school environment
- A passion for working with children and families
- Communication and Navigation Skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with both children and adults
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize a multitude of tasks by volume and urgency
- Technology savvy
- Leadership Skills
- Project management skills in implementing complex programs, supervising personnel, and handling budget
- Proven success working collaboratively and managing across constituencies such as families, staff, school leadership, Boards of Trustees, and community leaders
- Detail-oriented, data-driven, and resourceful
- Adept at problem-solving and conflict resolution
- Ability to keep information in the strictest of confidence
Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s background and experience and will be competitive with similar positions in Seattle area independent schools. Bertschi School offers excellent benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, retirement, and sick/vacation days.
To be considered for this position, please upload your cover letter and resume to the CalWest website. Current CalWest candidates need not apply here. Please email: mysearch@CalWestEducators.com
Bertschi School is an equal opportunity employer seeking a more culturally diverse workplace. Bertschi School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, socio-economic status, gender, sexual orientation or disability.