ABOUT SUN VALLEY COMMUNITY SCHOOL
Our philosophy? Build community. Take risks. Grow your curiosities. Pursue your passions. Aim for personal bests. We are a preK-12 day and boarding college prep school of 395 students set in the iconic mountain resort town of Sun Valley, Idaho. Our faculty and staff are passionate about the outdoors, the arts, innovation, athletics, adventure, and the work they do with students. They are engaged and encouraging and believe in our student-centered approach.
Our students are open to new experiences, take advantage of the natural environment, thrive in a small-town community but have a solid sense of the broader world. A Sun Valley Community School experience balances intellectual inquiry with adventure. We ask students and faculty alike to push comfort zones and seek understanding. We value inclusivity, authenticity, and critical thinking.
From our campus to the wilderness, we inspire students to think critically, engage confidently, embrace challenges, and lead impactful, purposeful lives.
Sun Valley Community School is seeking a dynamic full-time Elementary Science Teacher who has a passion for engaging young hearts and minds in all areas of science. This position includes benefits and begins August 2019. Candidates must have a love for teaching elementary children and demonstrate an open and flexible approach to education.
Candidates should understand and embrace the unique Sun Valley Community School culture of a small independent school in a mountain resort town. They should have three to five years of experience working with elementary age children in an educational setting, with at least a bachelor’s degree, and a deep understanding of the developmental breadth found in elementary school students (ages 2-11 years). Candidates should have a healthy sense of humor and find joy in this work. They should:
- be an organized and creative individual who motivates and inspires students to achieve their personal best;
- provide a variety of learning opportunities, methods, and materials, which support the diversity of abilities within the classroom;
- practice thoughtful, respectful, and effective classroom management techniques, which support active learning and promote responsibility and self-management;
- actively support and participate in outdoor education and be willing and qualified to participate in multi-day field/camping trips as a part of our Outdoor Program;
- work collaboratively and flexibly; understanding the need to switch gears quickly from one moment to the next in an elementary setting
Interested candidates should electronically send a cover letter, resume, and at least two letters of reference by Thursday, February 28 to:
Sun Valley Community School
c/o Janet Salvoni
Elementary School Head
Sun Valley Community School is an equal opportunity employer. The school encourages, seeks, and will employ applicants the school deems qualified for the position sought, regardless of age, ethnic background, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification, or physical ability, with reasonable accommodation to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.