Why Work in an Independent School?
About Independent School Administrators, Faculty and Staff
Independent school employees work in a close knit environment with a strong sense of community, high academic expectations, motivated students and involved parents. They have a chance to shape courses and curriculum, to collaborate with colleagues and to affect the development of young people through their work in and out of the classroom. Each independent school strives to admit students who will benefit the most from its particular program. The same rationale applies for selecting employees. Finding the right job often depends on finding the right match between your talents and interests and a school's philosophy and needs.
Benefits of Working in an Independent School
- Small class sizes
- Teachers are granted the autonomy to shape the program to suit the needs and interests of the particular group of students within the structure of the school's mission and values
- Funds are provided for professional development
- Innovation and growth is rewarded
- Qualities such as a deep knowledge of a subject, teaching, dedication, passion and the capacity to engage and inspire are prized and nurtured
- Freedom from the constraints created by dependence on standardized
testing to measure achievement and aptitude
- Opportunities to create real partnerships with parents
- Rewarding professional relationships with enthusiastic, inspiring colleagues