How to Apply
How Can I Join NWAIS?
Does your school share our Core Values? Do our Essential Characteristics of NWAIS Schools describe your school? If your answer is “Yes” to those questions, then the time has come to join our growing association of 111 schools serving over 19,000 students. See where your school fits in by using our comprehensive School Assessment of NWAIS Standards and Indicators Leading to and Maintaining of Accreditation Chart.
Schools seeking accreditation through NWAIS may apply for one of three affiliation categories as outlined in our Membership Affiliations and Benefits of Membership Chart. The appropriate category for the school will be determined using:
- The school’s application material
- An on-site assessment of the school by the NWAIS Executive Director
- Discussions with the school's Head and representative board members about the school’s stage of development
- The school’s commitment to meet the obligations of NWAIS membership.
Schools not pursuing accreditation but interested in raising their visibility and benefiting from NWAIS’ resources may apply as an Affiliate School. An on-site assessment of the school by the NWAIS Executive Director is required for this level of affiliation.
The NWAIS Executive Director’s visit to the school will focus on the following aspects:
- Mission and philosophy
- Institutional leadership and administrative organization
- Financial viability and sustainability
- Faculty and overall program
- Admissions policy
- Physical plant
- Commitment to NWAIS core values
- Compliance with NWAIS essential characteristics
If, in the view of NWAIS Executive Director, the applicant school is in the earliest stages of its development, the Executive Director may approve the school as either a Founder School or as a Subscriber School, each of which is a non-member category of affiliation. This designation would be shared with the school at the conclusion of the visit.
If, in the view of NWAIS Executive Director, the applicant school has the capacity to meet the NWAIS Major Standards within a five-year period, the Executive Director will bring a recommendation of Candidate Membership to NWAIS’ Board of Governors for approval.
NWAIS understands that simplicity within the dues structure is important. We assess a flat fee for membership, based on affiliation category, while charging a percentage of the school's operating expense.
- Accredited and Candidate Member Schools are assessed a base fee of $2,875 plus .14% of their annual operating budget.
- Subscriber Schools are assessed a flat fee of $2,000
- Founder Schools are assessed a flat fee of $1,000
- Affiliate Schools are assessed a flat fee of $1,500
- Submission of the NWAIS Annual Report included as part of the annual NAIS DASL survey, which illustrates the school’s commitment to on-going school improvement, by October 26th of each year (Affiliate Schools are exempt).
- Submission of key school statistical data through the DASL program of the National Association of Independent Schools (Accredited, Candidate and Subscriber Schools, only)
- Provision of an annual update on key school personnel for inclusion in the NWAIS School and Staff Directory
- All Accredited and Candidate Member schools are required to be represented at the Fall and Spring Heads Meetings.
- Payment of Annual Dues as determined by a formula based upon a school's operating expenses. To calculate your schools’ dues, download the NWAIS Association Dues and Travel Policy.
- Complete and submit the online Application for NWAIS Affiliation. Make sure to upload the requested supporting materials.
- Call the NWAIS office at 206.323.6137 to schedule a time for the NWAIS Executive Director to visit your school
- Submit your school's application fee via Visa, Mastercard or check.
- Copies of the bylaws, articles of incorporation or constitution
- A roster of trustees, directors or other governing bodies. A copy of the agenda and minutes from the school’s two most recent board meetings. A copy of the school’s strategic plan or major planning document, if applicable
- A copy of the previous year’s budget and year-end actuals. A copy of the current academic year budget
- Candidate Member applicants must submit a full, independent, opinion-level audit for a fiscal year ending within 18 months of the date of the application and a plan indicating how the school will address issues raised in the management letter
- A list of faculty including position and degrees
- A statistical breakdown of enrollment (by grade, gender, and ethnicity) and financial aid and tuition remission awards (by grade)
- A sample admissions packet. If this packet does not include an overview of the school's curriculum, please send this as well
- Honest assessment of the school’s development in relation to the NWAIS Standards of Accreditation (see School Assessment of NWAIS Standards and Indicators Leading to and Maintaining of Accreditation Chart). This assessment is usually completed by the Head of School and/or administrative team.
Still Have Questions?
Please contact NWAIS Executive DIrector Siri Akal Khalsa, Ed.D with any questions or concerns you may have regarding becoming a member of NWAIS.